Tzvetan Todorov came up with the narrative theory that every scene or plot had this structure
1) Equilibrium: The normal state at the beginning of the text, any opposing forces are in balance
2) Disruption: An action or conflict introduced into the narrative
- Recognition of distribution: After some time the action to conflict is noticed by the protagonist as it starts to effect their lives.
- Attempt to repair: Often brings out the change in characters
3) New/Return equilibrium: The conflict is resolved and the narrative strands are tied together.